Wrong tile overlap?- pictures

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Several weeks ago during gale force winds and constant rain I noticed some small damp patches on my loft (conversion) ceiling, after going through the process of claming my insurance they sent a roofer out who went onto the roof and flattened some upturned aluminium sheeting (sorry I dont know the technical terms but see pictures)

After a few minutes he came down and told me the real problem was that my roof tile overlap was only 20mm and it should be 60mm and to fix the problem the roof needed to be retiled or relaid, I cant remember the actual word as at that moment I fainted :confused:

Hew also said some screws used (see pictures) were the wrong type and thats why they were starting to pop up.

The full roof picture is the side of the roof which has the problem as its exposed to high winds compares to the other side which faces a row of trees

My question is this, is there a minumum legal requirement for roof tile over lap? I bought the 13 year old house in november and not sure if there is a legal case against the council\planning who signed this work off.

If anyone could please give me an Idea how much this would cost to repair I would be grateful,,,and I have my smelling salts beside me.

Tommy

o

o

o

Sponsored Links
i couldn't say about the headlap by looking at photo's but they seem ok.

the parapet and ridge flashings look abysmal.

Thanks noesall,

Can you be kind enough to explain to me what the ridge flashings and parapet are and what are we talking about pricewise to repair them to the standard they should be?

Sponsored Links
The weathering system to chimney and parapet do look suspect, They have used a secret gutter type detail which does not appear to have been formed well. Obviously the photos dont show exactly what has been done under the slate.. but I have suspicions..

Maybe the wet blew in under the lifted ridge which your roofer guy dressed down.
I would get another opinion on site.

Legal does not come into it. what about your survey?

The stains appeared on the ceilling on the opposite end of the house where the chimney is, if you look at the picture which shows the screws popping up, the ridge if thats what the aluminum looking material is called was bent upwards and the roofer flattened it.
During high winds and constant rain there was a rattling sound comming from that area which was either from the upturned aluminuim material or from the location where the screws are loose and my suspicion is that water came in from there.

on a previous thread somone said that their roofer said their tile\slate overhang was too small and the roof had to be redone, a further inspection by another roofer found the problem to be a leaking water tank!.

because the house was modern (13 years old, next door is 200) I had the basic survey done.

There are several small stains (about 3 inches in diameter) on my loft conversion ceiling from the period where it was gail force winds and constant rain but the strange thing is they are all at the same height across 3\4 the width of the building,,can water run sideways and that far?

For the amount of staining / leakage it will be tricky to find the fault.
it could be coming from the ridge but you wont find the answer to this particular problem on a forum.

If you have safe access to the roof, measure the full length of a slate along side the rooflight or parapet will be easy and also measure the exposed length of slate and post the results. This will enable headlap issue to be confirmed or not.

Personally I think the laps will be ok, The slating is not horrendous apart from the abuttments

I took some measurements (via hanging out a velux window) of exposed slates which varied between each row (of the 3 or four I could measure) from 65mm to 80mm, I then attempted to do the riskier measurement of measuring a full length tile from the edge but as I was pulling out the ladder from the garden hut I came accross a pile of excess slates (which I had forgoten about) these measured in at 400mm

Now all I have to do is search for my dictionary to find out what abuttments are. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have measured correctly from the bottom of one slate to the bottom of the next then it cant be a headlap problem

Thats exactly what I did.
What if it's the "overlap" at the edge over the gutter (from the top of the roof to the bottom of it) could this be what he was refering too? and if so is that an expensive problem to fix?

Overhang into gutter will have nothing to do with this problem.
Maybe the amount of cover the ridge has over the top courses of slates.. Side lap over flashings at abuttments might be poor.. but that wont cause your problem.

Are all the stains at the same level through out the building?

In the pictures I posted you will see 2 larger stains, then at the same level as the lower stain along about 2\3ds of the length of the house there are some smaller stains all on the same side of roof (back of the house) the ceilling on the front of the house has no problem (perhaps because it is more sheltered)

I will try and get a copy of the roofers report (to the insurance company) to see what exactly he has written, the annoying thing is it cost me 50 quid in policy excess. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back