Damp issues

7 Jul 2019
Reaction score
United Kingdom
This is my first post so I hope you can help me with the following:
I purchased a ground floor flat some months ago.

Surveyor recommended the property needed a DPC injected to cure the damp.
When purchasing the property I was also provided with a damp proof certificate by a damp proofing company.

Fast forward to last winter, I noticed water ingress to the basement which has no tanking yet it is supposed to be a bathroom conversion in a basement room.

I thought it was a plumbing leak so I called in a plumber who said it is not a pipes issue but water coming in from the ground walls surrounding the basement.

Also found that paint is flaking of the lower parts of the walls and some sort of hydroscopic salts have appeared on the new pink plaster.

I have now spoken with another professional and they have stated that you can not inject a stone wall with a DPC, you can only inject the mortar of the bricks to insert a modern DPC.

Also been told that the external render is cement trapping moisture underneath and the internal plaster and paints are not breathable.

On top of this I have been told that a DPC can not be installed because its a listed building so I am now wondering if I have been sold a flat with a damp issue which may have been concealed with new plaster and paint.

Also concerned surveyor gave me wrong advice and now stuck with wet rot to skirting boards and worried floor could be damaged as well.

Would it be best now to hack off all he plaster which is a messy job to try to dry the wall and re-plaster with right materials?

However worried if I do this then the damp cause has not been found and treated?

Any help and guidance would be appreciated?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
if there's a certificate from a company who's done the work, and the work has not been successful, then ask them to come back and resolve it would be worth a try. Otherwise what's the point in a certificate.
Thanks John, I did that and the DPC company came back and said the wrong plaster had been applied to the wall so that would need to be hacked off and another DPC inserted. Problem is I have found out that as its an old building it would never have had a DPC installed so putting one in would not get approval so this company has firstly done this without permission from Council and I have a damp problem which I have inherited and not easy to fix, it may be an unfit for habitation purchase?
I would suggest getting a specialist damp surveyor in to advice and give you a report.

I used one on a project a few years back, he charged £250.

Keep away from those rising damp companies - they want to sell you stuff, not solve the problem

He suggested products from safeguard europe

Sponsored Links
Many thanks
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks and agree as the damp proof PCA company wanted to sell me over £3K to inject a modern DPC.. I need to find the cause as external ground level is higher than internal ground level, cant dig a trench as not my ground.
Notch7 did you find it successful ? Did you employ a trader ?
I took a look at Safeguard and they offer damp proofing solutions including tanking a bit like Newton damp proofing who have done a lot of listed building work also , they seem pretty professional however they are not cheap!
Thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to put a helpful post. Will contact them.
Notch7 did you find it successful ? Did you employ a trader ?

Actually I got one of my guys to do the work.

From memory we used drybase on the external walls and on the house wall, stripped off appled a salt inhibiter and used a render with sbr for the scratch coat.

Yes safeguard is quite expensive, but they are quality products. The oldroyd wall system is pretty clever as it isolates the plaster from the wall.

It really is worth spending the money getting it done properly, otherwise you will be forever dealing with damp issues.

Most of the works could be done by a skilled builder if you can findvout what has to be done.
Thanks again. Taking a hopeful punt. Anyone on forum able to recommend tradesman South Lakes, Kendal, area for the work ?
Try Local council for list of recommended by the Council traders as a start
Hi, this is my first post, so I hope I have got this right? I have water coming up through the concrete floors, if I place a dry bag on the floor and then later lift it up the bag there is wet on the floor, so anything that is placed on the floor also draws up the wet. Does anyone know what this maybe? Also, should you have a drain inside the house? and should the front door be below the damp course? Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links