Damp & Mould

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:?: Have bought a 2nd floor apartment in Turkey and all seemed ok when we closed up for the winter in October. We have come out this week and there is mould on some of the walls. I realise this is due to lack of ventillation but was wondering would trickle vents help much, being as the weather patterns are obviously different abroad. We didn't leave any windows open (they aren't the double locking position type).

When we leave this time (back in June) I will leave a small bathroom window open - the only one I would feel safe to do so as is on a long-drop outside wall.

The mould is wipeable with bleach - no popped plaster - yet! Some other residents haven't been so fortunate.

I had been warned of this problem and did all things to help situation ie. pulled furniture away from walls, left half filled salt pots in all rooms, didn't leave wet washing on airer.

Any ideas anyone?????

Sponsored Links
Depending on the design, any appartment, irrespective of the height it is, can suffer from damp.
Ventilation is the key issue, as you suggest, providing the outside of the building and window frames etc are in good order.
Weep vents will help a little, depending on how much air can circulate through them - but not too much, I fear.
Would an automatic draining dehumidifier be a possibility, or do you not fancy the idea?
John :)

Thanks for your reply.... would it mean using electric for the de-humidifier cos we usually shut everything off when we're not here.

Have got window locks fitted and was looking at them earlier ... maybe if they were fitted onto a spacer this would allow us to lock them in a 'slightly open' position.

Fit trickle vents to all the windows; secure and ventilation.

If that doesn't work try a dehumidifier by all means but try just the trickles for now.

Sponsored Links
A dehumidifier would obviously eat into the leccy bill....is there anyone who could open / close the windows for you on a regular basis?
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back