Damp on external Garage Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of my garage walls that I share with my neighbour is completely untreated - no plaster, just bare bricks.

On the outdoor side, I've noticed the pointings b/w the bricks are not very well done - the problem is, whenver it rans, the bricks gets very wet, and it comes in to the inside.

This isn't really a problem as such, the garage is quite airy, so we don't really have a damp problem, but anything sitting against the wall does get wet, and it its carboard or wood, after a while, it does start getting mouldy.

Is there any quick and easy way to fix this? Would this product: http://www.diy.com/nav/build/buildi...-s-One-Coat-Water-Seal-Ultra-Clear-5L-9272996 be of any value?.

Thanks
Riz

Sponsored Links
1. the chemical "waterproofer" that you mentioned will only work for a limited period.

2. the long term solution is to determine how and why the water is penetrating.

3. is this a single skin/brick wall?
is there a gutter above the wall?
is the groud level lower than the garage floor?

5. re-pointing will be required. rake out to 18 - 20mm and use a mix of 1 cement, 1 lime and two sand, or 1 cement and 4 sand.

6. remove all damaged bricks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back