Damp on gable end side of house - internal walls/chimneys?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Wonder if you could help?

I live in an old farmhouse - built c1870. I have 2 problems....

First one - got some damp patches in a bedroom next to the West facing gable end. It is not on the chimney breast - but this has been covered in plasterboard at some point. There are a few patches of damp on the wall to the side of the chimney breast, around the top, next to the ceiling. I've been in the loft and there is absolutely no sign of damp inside on the gable end. There are 4 chimney pots - non in use although 1 has been swept so I know it is not capped.

I have taken video clips of the inside of the loft....

The main problem is the East facing gable end. I have damp on the chimney breast in an upstairs bedroom. There is a fire place that is covered over. Directly below in the living room, 6 weeks ago a small patch of damp appeared at the top of the chimney breast next to the ceiling. I've had this week off work and the rain at the beginning of the week was very heavy and persistent. After 6 days away, I've come back to a much larger patch of damp - across the ceiling and creeping down the chimney breast towards the fire place (open fire with an uncapped chimney - we occasionally light this open fire). Again, been all over the loft and the only little bit of damp I can see is along one of the timbers that stretches from the apex down to the edge of the roof. Video here...from 14 seconds onwards...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBM7nsIxh2A

Had a roofer come out, described the issues... showed him the rooms and he took a good look at the roof from outside (using binoculars). He explained it needs scaffolding so he can have a good look - but that will cost me c£800 for both sides. He suggested that rain could be getting in at the join between the tiles and chimney (there is no lead flashing - just mortar). I can see no evidence of that inside....

Could it just be the result of a long wet summer with a week of non stop rain soaking into the chimney from an uncapped pot? Could I fix this by simply putting something on the chimney to stop rain getting in but still allowing the odd open fire (couple of times a year although it has been lit for the last 3 days non stop trying to dry out the plaster)

Any ideas?

Thanks

Si

Sponsored Links
You can get hooded inserts or full hooded pots called DFE they are suitable for real fires and will keep most of the rain out. I would try that route first.

I would suspect that when the wind and rain is blowing from the WEST that will be when you get your problems.
Rain lashing aganst the west side )roof side) of chimney and being blown in and water tracking .
Just my opinion though.
Remedy ?. Take off slates around chimney breast and install lead soakers/flashing .

Sponsored Links
I would suspect that when the wind and rain is blowing from the WEST that will be when you get your problems.
Rain lashing aganst the west side )roof side) of chimney and being blown in and water tracking .
Just my opinion though.
Remedy ?. Take off slates around chimney breast and install lead soakers/flashing .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back