Damp on interior wall near back door

We do get condensation in the kitchen and bathroom but nothing to explain why in this one area is getting affected so much. There is a vent directly opposite the kitchen door, how effective this is, I don't know.

The bathroom does get a lot of condensation with some mould cropping up above the shower. We have an extractor fan in there and keep the window open as much as possible.

Directly on the other side of that wall where the damp area is, is the toilet. But the toilet backs onto the exterior wall where I assume all the pipework is.

The shower and bath are on the furthest wall directly opposite the damp wall.

The wall on the bathroom side is tiled halfway up, then just plaster and paint for the top half. Because of the tiles, there could be damp on that wall as well and I wouldn't know due to the tiles hiding it. But the damp patch in the kitchen starts just above where the top of the tiles are in the bathroom, and the wall above the tiles in the bathroom looks dry. I hope I'm not losing you with this!

Are there any pipes running above the kitchen door from the bathroom? Is this what you are asking? I've never thought of that but maybe there are. If you look at the pic I took of the kitchen wall from a distance, there is a boxed wall bit above the kitchen door which I guess could be there for pipework. But if pipes were leaking from above the wall, would the damp not start at the top and run down the wall. As it is, the wall is bone dry on the top half and only starts halfway down.

Thanks for the time you taking considering all of this!

Cheers

John

Sponsored Links
it might be worth chipping away at the plaster where the damp starts. though a pipe leak in a wall usually has a "round" damp stain.

see if the outside of the wall seems damp, it still might be rainwater drip. Water can run down inside a plastic door frame.

if it is a cavity wall, damp may show on the inside where the cavity has been blocked or bridged, e.g. with mortar.

condensation usually starts at the top, as steam rises.

does the WC cistern have an overflow pipe?

I will check all of what you have suggested.

I don't know if the WC has an overflow pipe but I will find out. I assume it does want one, else water can spill over somewhere?

Sponsored Links
or the pipe might go into the wall, and have been blocked or damaged. the height can be near the top or the bottom of the cisterns. Some modern syphons overflow into the WC pan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back