Help, Damp/Leak between UPVC door and interior wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a UPVC door and had some builders installed in my kitchen. The door open up to the garden.

After the door was installed and the inside wall painted, I noticed a patch that started becoming damp and the paint peeling off. It wasn't too bad and so I thought I will leave it to dry and paint over eventually.

The patch did dry up but with the daily rain that we had been experiencing, it is now getting a lot worse.

I believe the rain is seeping through between the door frame and the exterior wall and coming into the interior wall. My guess is that the edge where the door frame and the outside wall meets wasn't sealed properly.

Can anyone advise what can be done to seal the edges properly and prevent more water from seeping through?
image.jpg

The above is the damp patch on the interior wall.

image.jpg

The above is the outside wall. Where you see the grey patch of cement/render near the door hinge, the damp patch on the interior wall is slightly lower down.

Any suggestions is much appreciated. I am not very handy so please go easy on any technicalities.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Can you give us a close up of the actual seal between the door and the wall.....its a bit in shadow but it does look like there's some silicone sealant missing there.....just a couple of inches below that cement patch?
John :)

Hi John,
please see the close up.

There is no silicone sealant all round the door frame.

Hope the pictures help.

Many thanks

image.jpg
image.jpg

It looks like sand and cement has been used to seal the gap between the new door frame and the wall. This is fair enough, but I'd be inclined to rub away any of the loose or crusty bits of cement and apply a bead of silicone just to make sure.....this needs to be done all of the way around the new frame. Any silicone needs to be pressed into the join, not just run on the surface.
Also, you can probably see the crack in the render? This crack needs to be filled too, as water will get in, and force or 'blow' the render off the brickwork. A coat of masonry paint would help too, of course.

Sponsored Links
John, many thanks.

Yes it is very bad workmanship, which is why I not calling the builders back to fix the problem.

Your suggested remedy sounds easy enough so I will give it a go.

I am so glad that the door doesn't need to be taken down to be refitted, at least for the year!

Thanks again

Your most welcome.....you'll find sealants and application guns in any DIY store.
For cracks in brickwork or cement, I use a product called Sikaflex EBT which is an adhesive as well as a sealant - and paints over, too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back