Help- damp patches nobody seems to understand

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bear with me on this it's complicated....
My house is a terraced 100 year old brick built house.
At some stage in the past a previous owner converted an outside toilet to an internal toilet by bricking up the external toilet door and opening up an internal door directly into the kitchen.
I converted the toilet in the kitchen into a tiny utility room and it has two solid brick internal walls. So the square kitchen has a square utility room in one corner with solid brick walls separating it from the kitchen.
there was a door to the utility room which I removed so there is just a door frame.

In the last couple of years 2 damp patches have appeared next to the door frame mentioned above, one in the top corner and the other half way up. Both damp patches are on the room side of the door frame (not by the external wall). The patches just seem to get worse, I tried replastering once but it just came through again.
I have removed the floor boards in the room above and there are some pipes there but they seem perfectly dry - I have monitored them for several days but am fairly sure there is nothing leaking down.

The external walls are rendered but seem quite solid. I can't see any obvious cracks.

Any thoughts anyone? It doesnt seem to be related to rain or anything and I cant find any leaks????

Sponsored Links
I haven't done this before. NOt sure a) if u can see these and b) whether they are light enough. I can take some more in daylight if they aren't good enough.

Sponsored Links
I've uploaded some pics to my album which you can get to by clicking on my name. IS that the best thing to do? or is there a way of uploading them to the thread?

When you write a post Norm, underneath the retangular box where you type you will see,, written in blue, "show my images", click on this.... Your pics will then come up,,,,, click on the one/s you want, and they will appear in your post.

Roughcaster.

Hard to say where that's coming from,, what type of roof is on the original outside toilet and is it well sealed/flashed to the house wall.

Roughcaster.

I'll take a pic of the outside tomorrow in the daylight
Basically if you look at the first pic you will see that the utility room (what used to be a toilet) is actually just a section taken out of the kitchen so directly above it is the bedroom above. It is not a separate construction or a lean to or anything

Can you be certain that it's not an old water supply pipe from years ago ( old toilet), that was say, "capped off" and buried in the wall/plaster, but still leaks very very slightly.

Roughcaster.

indeed you cannot roughcaster, there isn't much you CAN rule out at this point other than say rising damp, roof would probably be the easier place to rule out next though, could then try rooting around for pipes to see if one does disappear inot wall around there.

Basically if you look at the first pic you will see that the utility room (what used to be a toilet) is actually just a section taken out of the kitchen so directly above it is the bedroom above. It is not a separate construction or a lean to or anything

I thought it had a lean-to type roof as well T/Monkey1, but it doesn't,, it's not a separate construction, as Norm said. There is a bedroom directly above. He's lifted the floor boards and checked for leaking pipes, but there's none. That's what made me think of an old redundant pipe,, capped off and buried in the wall/plaster,,, but leaking very slightly,, who knows.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back