Damp on internal walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

This is my first posting on the forum. I hope I can call on the collective expertise on here!

I recently bought my first home. I have a few patches of damp above the Skirting board of one downstairs internal wall. It separates the front room and backroom of a terraced house so has no contact with the outside. I was wondering whether I would still install some type of Dpc on an internal wall? Or is that just for external walls?

FYI. The house is over 100 years old so I'm not sure what methods they used back then for this.

I've looked into buying some sort of Dpc injection cream so I can dot it myself.

Any advice or tips would b gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
I think you are completely on the right lines.....that wall will go down to the foundations, and is wicking water up from there.
I'd be inclined to lift a floor board or two in the vicinity, just to see that there are no nasties lurking down there......expect to see an earth floor or other sort of similar surface beneath.
Do check out the underfloor ventilation- most important- and you can use an injected damp course if necessary.
John :)

That's super thanks John. I'll get a few of the floor boards up and have look in case something nasty lurks below.

Just regarding the ventilation, I know there's a gap between the floorboards and the earth floor of about half a metre, should I be expecting anything else as part of the ventilation?

Thanks again,

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back