Damp or leak in floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
36C9C775-A4CE-4429-A03F-475FD87B4FF2.jpeg
DCE62512-EBE8-42DF-B94A-DEDCD8CBA389.jpeg
36C9C775-A4CE-4429-A03F-475FD87B4FF2.jpeg
DCE62512-EBE8-42DF-B94A-DEDCD8CBA389.jpeg
Hi everyone, really hope someone can help me, I’ve had my old kitchen ripped out and will be getting a new one in a few weeks.

where the sink and dish washer was, there is a wet/damp patch on the floor and slightly going up or coming down the wall (see pictures) my tilers have been levelling the floor and poured some of their leveller and the dampness and even gone though that.

my plumber is saying the hot and cold feed pipes are no one near there, so it can’t be them leaking.

possibility that it could be the soil pipe, that he reckons it’s unlikely.

is there anyone that can help me and advice on what I should do?
Is the only option to dig up the floor and check?

It’s not the pipes going across the walls (I know it looks as if it is) those pipes are completely dry and have been moved to the wall so we could level the floor

Sponsored Links
Your walls shows rising damp but whether its rising from the ground or from a previous leak its hard to tell but there's a lot of it?
Can you post pics of the ground level and wall on the outside?

So, the solid floor was damp before the tiler's levelled it - without finding & fixing the cause of any damp?
What did they level it with? It looks rough at the edge.
There's no sign of a membrane (a DPM) coming up at the wall/floor abutment?

Is the Cu pipe going into the floor live? Is it in a metal capped channel?
All cables and pipes in floors and walls should be well sunk in and protectively channelled.
Any gas in the kitchen?

I would imagine that the walls should be hacked off to masonry and then rendered up with sand & lime render?
Maybe the floor will need investigating, and need to have some kind of damp proofing installed?

image.jpg
735FAA9C-DDEE-4E62-873D-2B8E5635BA21.jpeg
A6351C4F-AB48-4385-BBED-195FD223E741.jpeg
276048FC-59A8-4044-A8AD-6020CC900DEE.jpeg
Basically the tilers put the leveller down as they need to put heating on top of a smooth surface.
to be honest we just thought the floor was wet were the dishwasher had been leaking for months.

we have taken up abit of the floor and when hit hard ground could see it was dry. No pipes under neath that were leaking.

this morning it looks as if the hard concrete is also wet.
Maybe we would have taken up all the wet ground?

Im just so confused.
Could it be where the floor has been saturated for so long it’s like a wet sponge now?

see pictures

Also regarding the copper pipe, it’s been dug in the ground to go across the kitchen for the fridge freezer.
The plumber put like a foam insulation sleeve around it?

over this will be the heating, and then tiles

is that okay?

or would you say not to have it running under the ground?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 182
Sponsored Links
Has a 75mm sand & cement screed been used over a concrete slab - and a SLC floated over the S&C screed?
And you now intend to install UFH on top of the SLC?

The fridge Cu supply presumably has been pressure tested, and is now full of water & capped?
Its down now so just leave it alone if its been tested.

I can now see what looks like the edges of a DPM at the wall floor abutment. If you have a correctly installed DPM then no moisture should be rising through the concrete slab.

Where is the white pvc drainage in the top left corner going to? Is the intention to discharge appliances and sink into it?

The exterior render looks fine except it should stop with a BellCast, & hopefully doesn't bridge the DPC?

The exterior return wall shows a down pipe discharging into what - the bricks behind the pipe look wet?

The more i look at your pics the more convinced i am that you have rising or penetrating damp in two walls.
As above, all damaged plaster will have to come off - it would probably pay to open a few bricks on both walls and examine the cavity for debris that might be causing bridging of the DPC's in both walls.

Dont do any further kitchen work until you have found and rectified the damp problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back