How far can damp rise?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Internal plastic soil pipe is against party wall.
It has branches at floor level in basement, ground and second floors.
Neighbour has a damp patch, 200mm diameter at about 2m high, in basement.
House is large early Vic, or older.

I found an inspection hatch at basement, floor level which was cracked and leaking a few drops.
So either the water was leaking here and rising about 2 metres, or there's a leak above which just happens to go through at that height.

I've heard damp can only rise 1 metre, but I've witnessed it going higher than that, many times.

What do you think?

Nearly all the pipe is boxed in. Any cunning methods of finding the leak if it's higher up? Lights and cameras?

Also posted in Plumbing section.

Sponsored Links
how far can damp rise?

a fair bit in one of these,

elevator.jpg

even further in this,

airplane1.jpg

absolutely miles in this,

saturn5_apollo11.gif

ChrisR said:
I've heard damp can only rise 1 metre, but I've witnessed it going higher than that, many times.

What do you think?

I have also heard that damp can only rise to one metre above ground level.

I would be very interested to see any evidence you might have of it rising to higher levels or indeed any levels.

Sponsored Links
I was thinking, so I was- And I wondered if the reason for all the different findings on how far damp can rise might be-
Looking at the rising ground table around the building- would this variable issue be connected with the water pressure in each case?

('course, if you're by mountains- it's tough)
Every time it rains, it rains, pressure from heaven-- :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back