Damp or water leak???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was called by my tenant to have a look at a stain that has appeared on the ceiling of a room in a coach house that i rent out.

There is a clear stain on the plasterboard and on the wall next to it, so i had a look in the attic directly above it.

Pics attached show what i found:

Now, from what i can see, there are no pipes in the vicinity, and i could see no other areas where there had been or is water.

everything around it looks dry, however the insulation was wet on the underside - not the top!

Now speaking to the tenant, the central heating was off for 2-3 weeks over the xmas period, which was then turned back on which is when the mark was noticed.

But, at the same time, we have had a fair amount of rain and wind which may have allowed or pushed water up through a gap which had not previously allowed water to get in.

The roof is on a new build - well built within the last 5 years, and i just noticed that a row of bungalows built at the same time opposite are having their roof replaced (most likely by the builder as they are all being done!)

Looked on the felt layer on the ceiling, all dry, and looked at the gable end, again looks dry. No marks on the brick/block wall to indicate water...

Would it be the correct assumption to make that it is likely to be damp? I've advised the tenant to let me know if there are any further changes so will post back if there are...

Sponsored Links
Looks like the underlay is damaged, line of perforations?, this might let rain thru, insulation would be wet on underside as it's not absorbant so water passes straight thru to ceiling.

Thanks for the reply, are you referring to the ones on the right hand side of the photo next to the joist?

If so I'll take a look when i get a chance next. Guess the wind/storm weather somehow let it though?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back