Damp party wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, i started decorating my kitchen just before christmas and found a damp patch on the party wall and adjoining lintel over a window. The patch is above the sink unit and comes in from the external wall about 150mm and up to about the top of the lintel. It also extends along the lintel about 1000mm.
I discovered the cause of the damp ( toilet cistern overflow) back in december and fixed it.
My main concern is that it does not seem to be drying out.
The room has no heating and i have a small dehumidifier in there. I am certain the leak is fixed and there is nothing causing it to remain wet, its just not drying out.
Mostly it only shows as a stain and feels dry to the touch. Although a damp meter shows it has dried a lot it is still reading about 30% in places. Occasionally it looks and feels damp, like today. I have had the washing machine and tumble dryer on in that room.
Is it just a case of being patient or is there something else i could be doing ?

Sponsored Links
If the wall has been saturated it takes months to dry out, especially in winter.

I'd put a desk fan on it.

It is cheap, can be left on all day , and will increase the evaporation a hell of a lot better than a dehumidifier IMO.
As posted above, the spring and summer will help a lot.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.
I figured that would be the answer. I have had a fan heater on it intermittently but the misses wont let me leave it on when nobodys home, just the dehumidifier. Both electric so i dont see the difference !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back