damp patch again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey guys i was helped out on here a little while ago with rendering and plastering a wall. the render was falling off one of my walls so i re-rendered it with a lot of help from this site, i also had to strip ....very easily it mostly fell off actually...the interior plaster down to the brickwork. the problem is i never got round to painting the outside wall, and recently i have noticed a damp patch and some fungus on the wall. is this because i didnt paint the outside wall, please tell me i havent got to do the whole thing again its all painted and papered inside now, i think i have really cocked up, but i hope i havent help please.
thanks
Bill

Sponsored Links
Is there a gutter anywhere nearby? Sounds like water ingress to me.

joe,
thanks for the reply, yes there is a gutter above the wall i have just rendered but, what i am worried about is whether the damp has got in because i was a bit slow ie 2-3 months in painting the outside wall, and if it was, is it just a case of getting the wall painted and drying out the inside wall or is that too much to hope for
thanks
Bill

Sponsored Links
Damp doesn't come in from outside walls without a reason. My guess is it's leaking out the back of the gutter and onto the wall plate then down through the brick. Painting it will do nothing. Get up a ladder and have a look.

thanks Joe,
so what you are saying is that even tho its a newley rendered wall the water would nbot come through, so nothing ive done could be causing the problem, ive looked at the gutter and its empty...of rubbish, and doesnt appear to be leaking anywhere.

Houses don't leak from rainwater nor does old damp stay damp. Water is coming in somewhere, be it gutter or roof. Maybe it overflows at peak rain volume.

When you say damp patch and fungus are you talking about outside ? Also you said you have papered the inside and painted it. How long did you leave the inside plaster before you papered it? What did you use on the internal brick work as the base coat for your skimming? If you scratch coated the out side with waterproofer in it and floated out with a weaker top coat , as long as you didn't render over any cracks the wall should be water tight. Check wether there are any any cracks on the outside render. Also is there any foilage or shrubs nearby? If you spray a little water on the wall from a small spray bottle you will see if any hairline cracks show up...

roy, thanks for the answer, i used bonding on the inside wall as a base coat, the inside was left for a few weeks before papering,i did not put any waterproofer in either of the coats, i took advice from here and as far as im aware nobody mentioned doing that, should i have done that?,what do you mean by rendering over a crack, i had to remove some of the mortar between the bricks as it was a bit naff also at the top near to where it meets the roof i had to fill a couple of biggish holes with cement i think there may have been bits of brick in there before cut to the shape of the roof under the roof tiles, was i wrong to just put mortar in those gaps?there arent any plants or trees anywhere near it
i have posted a couple of images so that you can see a before and after where the arrow is pointing are the gaps i mentioned where i had to put a fair bit of mortar hope you can help after this explanantion and pics appreciate you trying
Bill

1. joe is on to something: the detailing at the short piece of verge is wrong
2. There's no supporting and projecting cement fillet, and the tile dont project out far enough off the wall face, esp. with the new remedial work.

3. Notice the return end of the gutter is too long, is bent out of line, and is not actually catching any runoff. And the gutter falls the wrong way. A lead saddle/soaker is required here, to pick up run-off and direct it into the gutter.

4. Why only render down so far and then stop? Is there a ledge of some sort?

5. Have you had PVC fascia, and soffit replacement?

6. The left hand side of your re-rendering, at the PVC frame seems unfinished?

7. What is behind that parapet? Is it a garage roof or a balcony ?

8. Whats the answer to roy's question ref. "fungus"?

1. can you explain this a bit more please what is a verge?
2. are you saying that the tiles on the roof should come out further into the gutter?
3. can you explain this a little more please are you referring to the piece of gutter that comes across above the window and then turns across the roof?
4. thats where the original render stopped before there is a ledge of bricks that stick out at that point.
5. pvc and soffits were replaced along with gutter about 5 years ago.
6. it is finished maybe the edge is a bit untidy and havent cleaned up the pvc window frame.
7. its a garage roof.
8. the fungus is in the bedroom, and its only a small ammount
really appreciate thee trouble you have gone to to ask all these questions, sorry i am not sure what you mean on some of them if you can clarify i will try to answer
regards
Bill

Well i can, to the best of my ability, answer your queries, but in the final analysis you will have to get a jobbing roofer or builder to rearrange some tiles and guttering, and fit some lead flashing at the bottom of the hip area, ie the corner of the roof.

1. the verge is the roof edge bit that slopes diagonal from high to low. Above your arrow in the pic.

2. No. the tiles over the verge have been cut short. New tile, extending over a cement fillet and pointed in will do the trick. Perhaps another bit of lead flashing detail.

3. Yes, that piece requires cutting short and the whole last three feet of the guttering requires to be raised. So that the water will flow to the outlet and not sit and possibly flood over.
Lead flashing should be installed above and discharge into the gutter.

4. A little slope( or fillet ) of sand and cement will prevent water sitting on the ledge. Perhaps you did that?

5. Hence the gutter difficulties.

7. So you can stand and work off it? While you are up a steps check the security of the fascia at that corner.

8. Pic it please. And the surrounding area.

Maybe you could google some diagrams of roof terms, and flashing detail for pics of what i'm referring to? Please dont apologise, there are no stupid questions - unless they involve why Bookies wont give me my money back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back