Damp patch and Efflorescence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm having problems with a damp patch on an interior wall. The bricks on the exterior of the wall have a white crystalline deposit on them. I have been recommended to treat the external wall with Thompson's water sealant. Should I try and remove the white deposit before I coat with the water sealant or will the application of the sealant be all that is required?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Find the leak or drip causing the damp and repair it.

Once the wall has fully dried, you can take a look at the efflorescence.

Some photos will help a lot.

As johnD above, one prime suspect will be a leaky rain water gutter, next time it rains pop out and have a look

Ken

Thompson's is a water repellent, it does nothing for salt deposits

Sponsored Links
Surface seals, seal water in so walls can't dry to atmosphere. Unless it is raining, relative humidity is usually <100% hence moving air over a wall will dry it.

Hi

Thanks for the above replies and please forgive me for my late reply – computer troubles!

All of the replies offered sound advice especially the posts by JohnD and KenGMac. Woody and mrrusty – good logic. Thanks all, will report back as to how successful I have been.

Barry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back