Damp patch. Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
So, about 18 months ago I noticed some damp coming from behind a radiator in our downstairs toilet.

The house is 3 years old.

The damp didn't get any worse for 12 months, but it didn't dry up either, so to be honest, I just ignored it.

We've had a bit of rain recently, not much though, after a heatwave in the UK, and it does seem to have gotten worse.

We don't lose water pressure, and the fact that it seems to have gotten a bit worse after rain, says to me that we don't have a water leak. The water must be getting in some how.

Can any one offer and advice on what I should do to trace where the water is coming Grimm and how to rectify it or whether I need a plumber or other tradesman to look at it.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20180818_144341.jpg
    20180818_144341.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 305
  • 20180818_144415.jpg
    20180818_144415.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 325
  • 20180818_144427.jpg
    20180818_144427.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 334
Sponsored Links
What do you mean behind the wall? I provided 3 pictures of the wall... do you mean the other side of the wall? As in the external wall? If that's what you mean, see attached

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180818-202922_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20180818-202922_WhatsApp.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 299
Ianbo, good evening.

Odd but? from the last image you posted, the DPC is two brick courses below the weep hole [the vertical plastic insert] immediately above the air brick, the DPC is the just visible protruding horizontal black line.

I cannot see why the cavity weep is so far above the DPC?

Is the floor in the affected room a concrete slab or a suspended timber floor, I suspect the latter given the air brick.

Ken

Sponsored Links
It's a tiled floor, through from the kitchen... the kitchen flows through the downstairs hall in to the downstairs toilet... comparing the height of the toilet floor to the outside floor I wouldn't say it was raised

On the last pic I posted of the outside wall, to the very left, cut off by the pic is a vertical vent, that is just about centre to the radiator in inside.
My wife took the external pic and she didn't quite get the position right

Surely on a 3 year old house you need to contact the builder. You should have a warranty.

Cavity trays do go above airbrick, is that another weep vent to the left of picture ?. But as said above get builder to sort it.
Jim

If rain get in the weep holes in could be carried across to the inner if the vent is a periscope type .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back