Damp patch in brand new porch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My brand new front porch was completed 2 weeks ago. Since then, I've noticed a small, recurring patch of damp on the floor screed. It is located in the front corner, where the side window (which extends from the floor to top-of-door height) meets a short return wall. The walls are thermolite block + insulation (100mm I think) + brick. I have already paid the builder. I have contacted him about this, but am yet to speak directly with him. In the meantime, can anyone please advise me on this? Would I be right in assuming that this is not something to be expected, and that it would be appropriate for the builder to come back and rectify it? At first I thought it might be a leak coming in from the side window frame - now I'm not so sure as it doesn't seem to necessarily coincide with rain. So it may be condensation.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
blueade7, good evening.

Keep on at the builder, get him back, ask him to investigate and sort it out if indeed it is a leak.

Ken.

Thanks Ken. If it's a leak then yes clearly he's going to have to fix it. I suppose my question is more, what if it's just condensation? I'd have thought if built correctly then there shouldn't be a recurrent patch of condensation - even in the middle of winter, and so again this is something he should fix. But on the other hand could be a lot of work just for a small (10cm x 5cm) area of condensation. (The corner it is in is at the meeting point of two cold walls - one of which is the door/side window panel. But the porch does have an working electric radiator, which has been mostly on, and a vent).

Sponsored Links
Here are a couple of photos...
IMG_20191213_213217 (1).jpg IMG_20191213_213202 (1).jpg

The first pic, has the sealant/plaster been stopped before it hits the floor by the frame? Looks like quite a large gap for water to get in. Doesn't look like condensation - I can see no evidence of it on your glass or anywhere else. Are the walls damp?

It could be the roof... Its been raining alot lately. Could be dripping down within the cavity.

At first look that damp patch is not condensation?
I agree it doesn't look like it. Seems an odd shape and location for it.
There's a slight draught coming from a slight gap between the window frame and wall. I had thought this draught may be causing the condensation by causing a local cold spot here. This seems consistent with the fact that the occurrence of this patch didn't seem to correlate with rain. So yesterday I ran a line of filler to close off the gap. Just noticed that towards the bottom the filler still hasn't set... perhaps because of water ingress... If there's a draught I guess there's also a route for water to get in.

The first pic, has the sealant/plaster been stopped before it hits the floor by the frame? Looks like quite a large gap for water to get in. Doesn't look like condensation - I can see no evidence of it on your glass or anywhere else. Are the walls damp?
There is condenstation on the glass towards the bottom - another reason I suspected condensation. See my post above regarding gap. But even with gap there surely shouldn't be water coming through here - perhaps, as suggested above, a problem with the roof too.

What came first, the chicken or the egg? You could only have condensation on the glass towards the bottom because of the puddle/damp area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back