Damp Patch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Not sure where the best place to put this query was, apologies if not the correct forum.

We've had a damp patch above our fireplace for over a year now, it hasn't changed shape or got bigger. I've had a pointing guy come round thinking that it was an issue with the chimney but he didn't seem to think that would be the issue.

The fireplace is in the living room and the chimney breast protrudes in to the kitchen, please see pictures below.

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 197
Sponsored Links
siross85, good evening.

The image posted? has it been rotated by 90 degrees? if so the damp marks are in the kitchen ?

Do you know what the wall is made of? is it plasterboard? how old is the Property?

Question? is there any chance that the damp marks are in fact oil stains? you mention that the staining has not either increased or decreased in dimensions?

Now back to investigations? Is there a roof void above above the area in question? if so is there access into the loft / roof void?

Ken.

siross85, good evening.

The image posted? has it been rotated by 90 degrees? if so the damp marks are in the kitchen ?
No the image hasn't been rotated, that is the where the blue wall meets the white ceiling, the wood is the frame of the mirror hanging above the fire place. The damp marks are not in the kitchen no, they are in the front room. Please see further picture below.

Do you know what the wall is made of? is it plasterboard? how old is the Property?
The wall is a solid brick wall as far as I'm aware. The property was built in the 60's, it's an ex council property.

Question? is there any chance that the damp marks are in fact oil stains? you mention that the staining has not either increased or decreased in dimensions?
I wouldn't have thought so. And no the dimensions have not changed at all, which is what is confusing me! I've had a damp meter on the area in question and the readings are high.

Now back to investigations? Is there a roof void above above the area in question? if so is there access into the loft / roof void?
Forgive my ignorance here, I'm assuming you mean a loft, if so yes there is a loft in the property and I have access up there, there isn't much space though.

Ken.

Hi Ken,

Please see answers in the quoted message above :)

Thanks for the reply!

Attachments

• image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    171.3 KB · Views: 145
They look typical of straining from the flue. If they feel greasy, most probably so.

If so you'll need to hack of the plaster and coat the wall with a stain blocker.

Sponsored Links
They look typical of straining from the flue. If they feel greasy, most probably so.

If so you'll need to hack of the plaster and coat the wall with a stain blocker.

Thanks for the reply.

Just felt it and can't really feel a greasy texture. The paint did come off in my hands a bit.

Assume hacking off the plaster would need me to get that part of the wall replastered?

Is there any risk of it doing any long term damage.

If not treated it just remains or extends, as more salts leech out.

Yes, although not just someone masquerading as a plaster who just knows how to skim plasterboard.

The wall will need to be coated with a suitable product too. You'll have to research that unless someone here knows one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back