damp patches on chimney breast wall

No, they won't. Most are useless at analysing damp. I could pi$$ up a wall and those meters would tell you that you need to spend thousands quick.

and how exactly do you think a damp meter works? What is the principle of operation?

Sponsored Links
and how exactly do you think a damp meter works? What is the principle of operation?
Its more the operator than the operation. Any 'damp expert' armed with a damp meter thrust before him, will be booted off any of my sites. There is more to damp masonry and plaster than can be shown with a rudimentary damp meter.

Current/resistance...?

Next you'll be telling me they give the operator a detailed analysis of why the damp is there, how the damp got there, how it affects the masonry, the actual content and describe which bits of masonry should and should not be showing an amount of moisture.

On their own - they are useless bits of kit.

Its more the operator than the operation. Any 'damp expert' armed with a damp meter thrust before him, will be booted off any of my sites. There is more to damp masonry and plaster than can be shown with a rudimentary damp meter.

That I agree with, not the less such a meter will highlight moisture levels contained within a substance.

Sponsored Links
Current/resistance...?

Next you'll be telling me they give the operator a detailed analysis of why the damp is there, how the damp got there, how it affects the masonry, the actual content and describe which bits of masonry should and should not be showing an amount of moisture.

On their own - they are useless bits of kit.

Did I suggest or indicate otherwise? Get off your soapbox!

anne no its chemical so it wont dry out. Its not condensation. The bedroom chimney breast in your photo should have a vent and have been swept. The bedroom fireplace is probly blocked off.
Some of the wall and ceiling paper in your pic has been blown and theres lots of shadows.

its good the sweep was recently there but by then the chemical penetration had already taken place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back