Damp patches in/around pollyfilla in wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2 years ago when I moved in to my flat I pulled down some shelves from a wall in the spare bedroom, pollyfiila'd the holes then painted over. I used quick setting pollyfilla even though some of the holes were quite big, so possibly it didn't completely dry and set inside before I painted over. (stupid mistake)

All was fine until last winter. As it was never used I didn't heat the room and during the prolonged cold weather moisture entered the pollyfilla causing damp patches in the wall. I will try to post a photo.

To remove these should I cut out the pollyfilla and replaster, or is it sufficient to just cover over with a damp seal?

Sponsored Links
To fix it properly, you'd be best off ripping out anything that is wet or damp, and replastering. Perhaps some foam insulation might help also.

Using damp proof paint would be a temporary fix only.

Pics below of the affected wall:

vqyq.jpg

p9vv.jpg

I've chiseled out one of the damp patches:

x6hc.jpg

Should I now treat this with PVA?

Will pollyfilla then be sufficient to fill again, or does it need to be plastered?

All you needed to do was whack a bit of oil based undercoat over the stains, and Emulsion the wall .

Sponsored Links
That may very well work. But PVA or some anti damp anti fungal prime would have a better chance.

Never PVA, and Emulsion over the top.

How big are the holes, I would guess polyfilla would do the job.

Plasterers use PVA under a thin skim. Why don't you tell them 'never'?

Sorry, I should have been more clear. :oops: Grip of course :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back