Which paint is best for cracking and staining emulsion paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Really need advice please. I repainted my bedroom just coming to a year ago. I took off all old paint etc which took hours, filled cracks etc with pollyfilla and sanded down to smooth then gave walls 2 mist coats i then emulsioned which looked great. Now the paint is peeling, cracking and some large stains are appearing. They dont smell damp. It s only happening on an external wall. What can i do? Do i have to take off all emulsion and start again? Should i have used the Zinsser paint Please advise. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Kath123, good evening.

A few things?

Do you know what the make up of the external wall is? Cavity brick? Masonry? External pebble dash / Roughcast Etc.?

You mention large damp stains? this description is a potential for Cavity fill problems, note I say Potential.

Some further information would be of assistance?

Ken.

Hi Ken. Thanks for your reply and sorry i havent come back to you sooner but my internet has been playing up and with working .........
I will try to reply as best i can. It is a very old house bade off extremely thick stone walls which have been replastered many years ago!!! We hade a leak from flashing around chimney which has now been repaired. When i say damp stains the wall is actually damp just stained if you can understand what i mean. The paint appears to be worst where i have filled with pollyfilla but beleive me it looks disgusting!!! I am just wondering if i take off all the emulsion again is there any sort of paint i can use to successfully seal the wall. One part where it started to peel the wall underneath appears grainy??? I am sorry my descriptions arent very good but i am really a novice here - just a lowly tesco worker who just plods on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you do reply and i dont reply back - i am sorry but will when i get the chance.
Regards Kath

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back