Damp penetration from Shower.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1930's semi, and in the bathroom has been installed a walk-in shower with tiled walls.
Unfortunately the rear of the shower is on a wall shared with a bedroom and I have noticed damp bubbling up the plaster, therefore assume that the water is penetrating the tiles through the grout, do I need to remove all the grout? Or is there another answer to this problem.

If it is remove the grout what is the easiest way, have tried to remove a small part and it took ages.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
When was the walk-in shower installed?
Is the wall in question a masonry wall or a stud wall?
Presumably the shower valve is on another wall?
A photo of the shower wall might help?

When was the walk-in shower installed? Not sure only moved in a couple of months ago.
Is the wall in question a masonry wall or a stud wall? A masonry wall.
Presumably the shower valve is on another wall? Yes
A photo of the shower wall might help?
98456-d245f506d09618a86ce97b70f6cf994c.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4267.JPG
    IMG_4267.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 148
Sponsored Links
It looks like a good installation - no obvious signs of water penetration.
Could you post a photo of the other side of the wall: the bubbling area? And a photo of the basin showing supplies and waste?
"Weak areas" of the installation might be (only possibilities) where the base meets the wall tile ie. the silicone caulk, the grout in the decorative strip, and the stile for the enclosure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back