Damp plaster from leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 2 foot thick wall which is damp on both sides from a leak in the roof, now fixed.

I need to move into the house asap!

the room has 70% dampness / humidity.

The plaster that is wet is brownish and i don't know if this is mould or maybe rust from an rsj further up as the water's come down. (this house is quite old i don't even know if there would be an rsj??)

Basically I need to know if its safe to move my family and kids in? while i wait for it to dry out. Ive looked at some other posts and they said it takes a 2ft wall 24months to dry.-i can't wait two years to move in :)

I dont know how long the roof has been fixed and the wall wet with the windows closed and no heating.

all the windows are now open 24/7, but the heating still doesnt work

any advice?????????

thanks

Sponsored Links
yeah it is, but the leak is fixed, its the damp i'm worried about now.

Sponsored Links
The brown stains could well be linked to your chimney and would suggest removing the plaster as it is very difficult to cover these stains up.
Does the Chimney stack have ventilation? As the damp could be trapped within the stack.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back