Damp, platering or painting issue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One exterior facing wall is having issues with paint "Bubbles".

Wall is about a foot and a half thick, stone construction. Interior walls plastered then painted (Before I moved in).

Bubbles appear, which if touched the top coat of paint crumbles off. Underneath there is a sealant type paint, which peels off as a solid layer. When peeled off there is usually a white powdery residue on the plaster behind.

Any ideas on the problem, and how to fix - don't want just to cover over.

Pics below. Thanks in advance. (nb Please keep replies low tech - complete novice here :oops: )

t6w9ya.jpg

2607cxt.jpg

snzzno.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi mate, looks like you have the same prob as me:

check this out.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=113204

The solution - first find where the damp is causing the efflouresece and halt it.

Next i got rid of it with efflourescent solution, then cos it was soo bad i touched up the 'dents' with polyfilla, then painted the whole wall with black bitumen paint - then undercoat and paint over.

that was nearly 2 years ago and thus far its fine. However I do expect at some stage to reline that part of the wall with plasterboard with anti damp coating

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back