Damp proof and solid stone walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I have recently bought a 1850's end terrace house which is built out of sandstone, the outer walls are 600mm - 700mm thick with no cavities. There are no signs of damp in the house but when I come to get a mortgage on the place will a survey insist there must be a DP on the property and if so what can I do about it.

Thanks
Taff

Sponsored Links
If it does, refer the surveyor to here, where there is a wealth of material about leaving old buildings to continue to behave in the manner originally intended ie breathe.

Probably there will be a bog standard clause in the survey along the lines of "the property does not have a damp-proof course and there is therefore a risk of rising damp." However as long as you can demonstrate to the buyer that the walls are dry there is probably no need to install a remedial dpc.

Thanks guys,
I bought the house for cash so didnt have a complete survey done, I will be renting it out as soon as it is ready (tenants waiting) but I want to get a mortgage on it to get my cash back and buy another (silly thing to do at the minute???) and I started to worry about DPC.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back