damp proof course DPC (builder forgot DPC on extension)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello all,

My builder has forgot to damp course extension, Building Reg has said we need to knock it down and start again or find a solution,

the extension is built out of breeze block, between the neighbours wall either side is a 100mm cavity so it does not connect to there walls, building regs say we have to damp course outer ad inner leafs, but the outer leaf we can't get to,

could any suggest any work around,

and advise would be greatly apperiated.

Sponsored Links
Builder? LOL.

You probably need to convert it to a basement that is actually above ground. Or read up on garage conversions.

For giggles, what does the "builder" say?

How do you 'forget' a DPC? I would suggest you take the lot down and start again. If something as fundamental as a DPC has been left out, god knows what other horrors lie within. :eek:

Sponsored Links
In my naivity, isn't the building inspector supposed to inspect at certain stages? foundation trenches dug, then to DPC? That's a big bummer. What about injectable DPC? The ones where you drill into the wall and pump in some chemical? God knows how you'd do the outer skin.

Also, the fact the builder forgot the DPC, isn't it his problem if the lot has to come down and be rebuilt - cost and all? Or is the "my builder" the same as the clown of a roofer I have trying to do my roof :sneaky:

You could persuade the inspector that you only need to do the inner leaf. After all that's the one that will bring water inside. Neither should be in contact with any timber, so it will basically be internal finishes you need to protect.
The building regs just require that water doesn't get to habitable rooms, and doesn't cause damage too the structure of the building. A dpc is only one way to achieve that but it's the usual way.

Edit: hopefully your builder will forget to ask to be paid too:rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back