Damp Proof Course/Patio/French Drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a single storey kitchen extension built a few years ago. It was all signed off by building control, however the grass was left right up to the building and since covid happened, it was a year or so until I could have the garden landscaped.

The landscaping was done by another company. When they took up the grass, they discovered the builder hadn’t put the drainage pipes and system low enough, in order to leave 15cm below the airbricks when a patio was built.

By this point the works were paid for and the patio stones ready to go. The landscapers told me the best thing to do was to build a French drain around the brick and not too worry too much about it. It’s mainly under a bifold door.

I have no internal signs of damp in the house. But with winter wet weather coming I’m more worried now about it. The bricks are damp below the gravel ‘drain’ and I’m wondering if it’s better to take out the stone and sand in this ‘French drain’ and let them air dry? Or if this will simply expose them to more rain?

I’m really unsure of the best thing to do…will this cause me major problems if I try to sell? Photos are attached. Thanks for any advice!

Attachments

• IMG_9271.jpg
    IMG_9271.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_9272.jpg
    IMG_9272.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_9273.jpg
    IMG_9273.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_9274.jpg
    IMG_9274.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 101
Sponsored Links
Can’t see in the photo, is dpc breeched? Are the vents sealed, looks to be fresh air around the one under door.

I think it must be, because I can't see the DPC? So assume its under the gravel 'drain'? Sorry Im not very knowledgeable about it...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back