Damp Proof course

Thank you. Clearly, therefore, when Anobium said:-

Anobium said:
Lack of ventilation will not affect the moisture content of the bricks or mortar to any great degree

he was incorrect then?

Sponsored Links

Anobium said:
Lack of ventilation will not affect the moisture content of the bricks or mortar to any great degree

he was incorrect then?

there are very few definitives in building. it will affect the moisture levels, but not to a great degree until the moisture within the walls can evaporate at surface.
so no, he was not incorrect.
I am guessing that since you want me to corroborate someone elses answers you take my opinions to be correct and final.
splendid.
rising damp exists.
because.
i say so.

Sponsored Links

Anobium said:

he was incorrect then?

there are very few definitives in building. it will affect the moisture levels, but not to a great degree until the moisture within the walls can evaporate at surface.
I am guessing that since you want me to corroborate someone elses answers you take my opinions to be correct and final.
splendid.
rising damp exists.
because.
i say so.

Thank you kindly for your defence of my statement sir, but I smell a rat!
Your scriblings put me in mind of Softus, you're not his alter ego are you ,or even worse," son of Softus"

davebelushi said:
anyway Jeff works for a newspaper. not to be trusted his kind!

Yes so has has no desire to advertise the benefits, or indeed otherwise, of chemical DPC inejction, he can just tell the story from an impartial viewpoint.

Anobium said:

he was incorrect then?

splendid.
rising damp exists.
because.
i say so.

Thank you kindly for your defence of my statement sir, but I smell a rat!
Your scriblings put me in mind of Softus, you're not his alter ego are you ,or even worse," son of Softus"

;)

Me too, all this utter rubbish with cavity walls being filled in, chemicals being injected into walls, PVC all over the place etc etc. Funny how people lived happily in houses before all this "improvement".

I thought we'd established that my word on this subject was final.
Rising damp exists. (Rare, but so are lots of things)
Thread locked

Me too, all this utter rubbish with cavity walls being filled in, chemicals being injected into walls, PVC all over the place etc etc. Funny how people lived happily in houses before all this "improvement".

I beg to differ, they may have lived happily, but not for very long.
By the way these are not my words but some well known historian.

Causes of poor health and high mortality rates in infants in houses built in the late 19th and early 20th century
Poor quality of building work

Building sites were not’ properly drained or prepared
Builders were not subject to building regulations
Brick floors were rested on the earth
Cheap bricks, slates and soft woods were often used
Slates placed end to end not overlapping
Houses deteriorated quickly due to high levels of dampness

Lack of clean water and sewers

The sewers

No indoor toilets
No piped water
Household waste dumped in street
Sewage was rarely collected, contaminated water supply by leaking into the wells
The water

Wells didn’t always have water in them
Water wasn’t often in large supply
Outside tap was shared by many families
Raw sewage ended up in rivers
Wells were contaminated usually by sewage seeping into them from the cesspit next the well
Poor ventilation

Air could not circulate in houses because the houses were close together
Germs spread quickly in houses because windows were often closed
Air was polluted by cesspools, sewers, smoke and rubbish

if theres no such thing as rising damp,then why is it we still put dpm/dpc down when we build walls and install solid floors?.

If we built in materials that allowed the building to breathe (lime mortar, limecrete, lime plaster etc) we wouldn't need to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back