Damp proof for concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hope you guys can help. I’m converting a detached garage to a liveable space and not sure what to do on the concrete floor for least disruption. I have used a rubberised liquid for the walls a d gone about a meter up (there is a dpc so this is probably overkill) and onto the floor about 30cm. For the rest of the floor I was thinking of a Damp proof membrane all over the floor and also up the walls, sealing it with flash band. Will then be putting raised joists supported by brick on top of the membrane. My biggest worry is that the concrete will sweat below the damp or that it could cause mould beneath the membrane. I don’t want to go to the expense of screening over the membrane unless absolutely necessary. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Shame there are no replies to this - I have the exact same dillema. May I ask what you did in the end?
Morning, I put a damp proof membrane down but ended up with mould under it on the walls which I cleaned with white vinegar solution. (I fortunately had a break from the job after I put the membrane down so was able to check what was going on before I did any more work). Ended up using LOTS of Liquid Damp Proof, then blinding it with Kiln Dried sand that i had left from another job. Seems to have done the job so far but time will tell. Also read since that going high on the walls with the Liquid DPM is not a good idea as it stops the bricks from breathing. I've also added air bricks as I have a small void under the floor and wanted an air flow but there seem to be mixed opinions on doing this. Good luck and have fun !!!!!

Morning guys,

How have you got a void under the floor, if it's concrete?

Is the garage single or double skin brickwork?

Sponsored Links
Per the first post, I've put in raised joists My challenge was how to stop damp rising through the concrete floor of the garage.
It has double skin but that badly built there is hardly a void (and probably none in some places) so I have treated as single skin and building all the stud work away from walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back