Floating floor in garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello looking to insulate the garage to use in winter. I have a sealed concrete floor, I had assumed a damp proof membrane, celotex, polythene sheet then 22mm chip board flooring. I have been googling, and it looks like if I can use celotex insulation and negate the need for a damp proof membrane is this right ? The last floating floor I used polystyrene rafts. Can anyone please advise many thanks

Sponsored Links
As its a garage, I'm afraid you cant assume too much - depending on the age of the property which may have a bearing on things. What I mean is, there may be a DPM or not.....
Consider using a Permagard water proofing solution on the clean. bare concrete and then constructing a timber frame 3x2" maybe - which can give you space for the insulation slabs and support to the proposed floor.
Are the walls of your garage single skin, by any chance?
John :)

Hi thanks for the reply, house was built in approx 1968-70 the garage is external to the house. So use a dpc on the concrete floor ie 1000ga and then a wooden structure 2" high, then the celotex on top of that then the chipboard flooring ? Walls are single skinned brick.

Sorry miss read your reply, the garage floor was sealed and then painted with garage floor paint by myself about 2 years ago.

Sponsored Links
That sounds ok, but do make sure the land outside is nice and low. Water can penetrate through a single skin wall, so I'd be tanking that inside too. For that I used Evercryl from MKM.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back