Damp proof guarantee?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I have received a damp survey report and the company offers me a “30 year Guarantee on all work”.

They also mention that “for a small additional cost, our guarantees can be underwritten by Property Guarantee Administration Ltd.”

What is the difference, shall I just get the 30 year Guarantee or I need to get it also underwritten by Property Guarantee Administration Ltd?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
You need any warranty to be "insurance backed", as otherwise if the damp company or that admin company goes bust, so does your warranty

Either of these guarantees is only "worth" something whilst the company is in existence. If they cease trading the guarantee will probably be worthless unless they have paid premiums to an insurance company to cover the cost of claims over the life of the guarantee.

You need to examine the terms carefully and judge whether you feel comfortable with:

a) What proof is required to make a claim - remember damp is not an easy area in which to say absolutely " it's due to that"

b) The financial stability of the company that is actually responsible for meeting the guarantee.

If it were me , I would want to see a large insurance company as guarantor.

How long has this damp -proofing company been trading under its current legal guise ( they often close and re-open with very similar names) ?

Are there any reviews on the Property Guarantee Administration Ltd organization? I checked their web site but I am not so sure how it works?

Sponsored Links
Having read what they have to say, I think it looks very dubious. They talk about the need for insurance-backing, but do not mention any insurance company so it seems as if they are proposing to be the "insurer".

However since they do not say how long they have been in business, what financial resources they have or give an address other than a PO Box in Bradford, the chances of them being in business to pay out are no better than the damp-proofing company.

I'm not familiar with that PGA company, but it does seem like well, just an administrative company, and "just another company"

All the damp treatment contractors we use, are members of the Property Carre Association (PCA) - previously the British Wood Preserving and Damp Proofing Association (BWPDA) so have a look at their website for more info www.property-care.org

Hello,
I have received a damp survey report
Before considering what type of guarantee is offered, what work is actually being suggested, how was the survey done, and what is the damp problem you are hoping to rectify?

This subject has a massive history on these DIY forums. From my experience and the experience of others i can only call a spade a spade with regards to the Damp and Timber industry.
It's a rip-off from start to finish: fraudsters and con-men guaranteeing others of their ilk. The national companies are the worst, their "surveyors" are typically salesmen who were selling brushes and used cars last week and have now been instructed to sell D&T jobs.
They destroy property, ignorantly spread dangerous chemicals and charge an arm and a leg.
I have a folder of sad stories from trade and daily papers over the last 30 years including sting operations from the Building Trades Magazine and Which.
A local builder will do a far better job where damp or timber is an issue.
As regards " insurance" and "guarantee's", try and get money back off a used car salesman and you get the idea. The majority of "guarantee's" are from the chemical companies for the chemical only, not the installation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back