Wall Tie guarantees

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're getting quotes for having wall ties done, and several companies say they can provide a company 25yr guarantee, or a Wall Tie Federation 25yr guarantee for an additional cost (varies between £50-£150).

As I understand it, if the company goes bust and you have a WTF guarantee, then there is 'back up'..

But does anyone have any views as to whether this extra guarantee is worth it, as regards any conditions that may apply, or is it a wise investment?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Never seen a house fall down due to wall tie failure. It's the latest con.

if these are stainless ties, i can't see what would go wrong with them

(old steel or iron ones used to rust)

I would suggest that wall ties aside, You check the small print of what's covered in each guarantee so you can make an informed decision.

Certain high street electrical retailers will sell you the virtues of spending £50 to extend the cover on your TV, but in my opinion it's generally a waste of time - additional insurances are a well crafted money spinner that play on your 'what if' emotion. Ask the salesman if he thinks the standard guarantee is inadequate, and as such does he have no confidence in the service he's selling?

Keep in mind that if you have adequate buildings and contents insurance, you should be covered should anything happen.

I'm assuming you're a reasonable judge of ccharachter but my thought is just do the usual checks you would do with any one doing works on your home...you could ask for references. If they push back and get funny about you asking questions, it's time to move on.

Sponsored Links
to some degree i agree with joe, but not all properties are the same, so each is judged upon their own merits (or lack of).

Thermo said:
why are you getting it done ellal?

The old ones have corroded, and it's very evident (even before I saw inside the wall with the boroscope..)

Keep in mind that if you have adequate buildings and contents insurance, you should be covered should anything happen.
Apparently Wall Ties are now classed as a 'maintenance item' and as such are not now covered..

What are the symptoms of this failure? Is the wall bowing? A few rusty ties are no reason to waste money.

I believe This will give you an idea..

tie1.jpg

you just ran out there and took that, didn't you? :LOL:

Must have been tiring carrying the readimix in that little barrow.

I meant, the bricks in the foreground look darker, and have quite a lot of blowholes from the lime expanding.

JohnD said:
I meant, the bricks in the foreground look darker, and have quite a lot of blowholes from the lime expanding.

Ah...I must acquaint you with a phenomenon called a 'shadow' then... ;)

Just out of interest, how is this company proposing to replace the ties? With anchor bolts? The reason I ask is that I had ties "replaced" on our house and have regretted it ever since for the following reasons:-

The front wall brickwork (shiny faced accringtons) looks appalling with dots of red mortar all over it

I found that some of the anchor bolts weren't properly fitted into the inner leaf brickwork, some going into nothing more than fresh air next to window reveals etc (despite them saying they torque test every one)

And finally the bottom few inches of my cavity are full of blown-off backs of bricks due to the brutal use of hilti SDS drills when the bolts were fitted (thus effectively cancelling out the "claimed benefits" of the chemical DPC the same company installed - another waste of my hard earned £'s)

If you do get some work done consider having it done from the inside, I'd rather have re-plastered etc internally, than have the mess I now have.

There's no sign of bowing. Just re point and forget it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back