Damp proofing a single skin wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,
My wife has a hair salon with a single brick external wall (no cavity obviously) with no DPC and unsurprisingly has a damp problem. What is the least destructive way of either installing a dpc of some kind, or is there another solution ?

Sponsored Links
It depends how bad it is. If you just have a bit of damp plaster, you could use an oil based primer on it, then paint as normal.

However if it's really bad, you're probably best to dry line it ie fix battens to the wall, add foil backed plasterboard, and skim. You could even use insulated plasterboard so the place will be much warmer and easier to keep warm.
Not really a quick fix though.

You could get a damp proofing company in to inject a dpc, but it will also be messy and I have doubts about it's success.

If you batten the wall the damp will soak into the battens, and if you screw through the plasterboard this could lead to damp coming through in patches, plus the battens will rot.

What about building a false stud wall in front? You could add a dpc at floor level as a precaution and insulate and plaster. Unless there are sinks etc in the way which would need to be moved.

The other option as reg said is an injection DPC...

It could just be condensation - salons aren't the driest of places. Have a look at the Heritage House site.

My wife has a hair salon with a single brick external wall
I think the term 'single brick' implies a 9" wall with 2 layers of brick. 9" is the length of a single brick. If there is only a single layer of brick, I think this is called 'half brick'.

You could try removing any plaster, lining the wall with 50mm or thicker Celotex GA3000, held in place with battens. Tape the joints to complete the VPL. Plasterboard on the battens. Have a look at the Celotex application data sheet. The VPL and insulation will prevent condensation and cut heating bills. (Actually, you could go down to just 20mm of insulation with a VPL just to prevent condensation.)

There is the option of mounting Kingspan K18 on battens attached to the wall. In this case the battens are against the brick, they would have to be treated or galvanised steel.

I'd only bother with a chemical DPC if the wall doesn't dry out in a year.

Sponsored Links
What about using a membrane on the wall to channel the damp away totally?

Simply stud the membrane onto the wall and plaster over the top.

Some good prices on membrane here, http://*************
Urm channel the damp away?!
Yer.. failing to mention this kinda system needs a sump drain at floor level and potentially a pump or fall to a drain externally.. not exactly cost effective..

My advice is remove the plaster and replace with a thermal laminate board such as Lafarge thermalcheck K. Of course the wall will be damp but the cause of the internal disruption and damage is most likely condensation. The above will solve both problems and is relatively cheap to do. You could fix with adhesive but I prefer mech fixings to avoid the potential for de-bonding

The plaster is best removed but you can leave it if it really is solid.

My advice is remove the plaster and replace with a thermal laminate board such as Lafarge thermalcheck K. Of course the wall will be damp but the cause of the internal disruption and damage is most likely condensation. The above will solve both problems and is relatively cheap to do. You could fix with adhesive but I prefer mech fixings to avoid the potential for de-bonding

The plaster is best removed but you can leave it if it really is solid.

Hi Jeds
Would appreciate some URGENT ADVICE ......got a builder who's using polythene on single brick wall. Work he's meant to be going is:
a) preventing dampness/condensation (coming through single brickwork)and
b) insulting and being stud walling up.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE ADVISE ......I DON'T THINK HE SHOULD BE PUTTING POLYTHENE ONTO WALL....LOOKS LIKE "MR BLOBBY"....he's got round dabs of white gooey stuff, here and there and the polythene stuck to it. the polythene isn't even taut!!!

HELP SOMEONE ??? PLEASE !! The guy's coming back in the morning and I need to have some facts, before I confront him.

Many thanks

personally i would hack the plaster off and tank the wall, with something like Aquapruf or similar. i dont think sticking floppy polythene to the wall woud do any good whatsover.
the advantage of tanking the wall is that you can plaster back over it and you dont need to put a stud wall in front of it. make surte you get a good 4 coats on and there are no gaps in it
you do have to realise though that whatever you do, floppy plastica nd stud wall or tanking will only ever cure the symptoms, not the root cause. you would be wise in the long run having a damp course injected.
hope that helps, sorry if its a little late but I only joined this site today.
:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back