Damp-proofing Concrete Blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know what product I need to use to damp-proof newly-laid 140mm concrete blocks of a garage??
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I have been informed about the dry-liner, StormDry, which is a cream to coat masonary to prevent damp. I was, however, shocked to learn that it costs £125 for 5L which covers approx 25 sq m!!!!!

Does anyone know of a cheaper product??

Thanks, but would that not be more expensive?

I was thinking of another similar product, or event paint (worst case).

Sponsored Links
There are may paints and sealants all offering varying degrees of success, you generally get what you pay for, you could try some Thompsons, don't think its breathable though, Stormdry is more of a trade product which is why it carries a more hefty price tag, daresay with some phoning around you may get it a little cheper, render is a long term solution though to enable the wall to breathe and keep the rain out.

I would bet a tenner right now that the wall isn't letting any moisture through.

Thanks Deluks, the wall has not yet gone up yet, I am just planning ahead, and I probably sound a bit paranoid, but I have heard so much about concrete bloks letting water through, that I don't want to take any chances...I still have not decided which sealer I am going to go for.....

I know you're against it, but if you had to seal the blocks with something other than render, what would you go for?

Unless you live on the side of a hill, 140mm blocks should not really pass water through. Provided the construction is correct, dpc, decent mortar mix with some waterproofer, and all joints nicely pointed up.

Out of interest, what have you got against render/paint?

Thanks!

Render is too costly! And I wanted to keep the original concrete look, if the pointing is done nicely, otherwise I will have to paint!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back