Damp Proofing - legalities

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a 3 storey block of flats, I'm on the ground floor. We have problems with damp on the communal walls that is on the other side of my bedroom wall.

I'm led to believe that there was a flood in the flats quite some years ago and that all that was done was the carpets were dried out. I'm also led to believe that the flats have not had damp proofing.

I've just been told today that despite numerous attempts by my fellow residents to have the problem sorted, nothing has happened.

Is it true that if the problem cannot be rectfied, the property can be condemned? On the basis that was true and the place was condemned, what are the rules regarding compensation? I obviously don't want to lose money on my property. I was told that if that happened, I would receive the current value of my property, plus compensation.

Is this all rubbish or have I been told the truth?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Its rubbish.

Properties are not condemned willy nilly, and a technical solution is always available for damp issues. You can seek redress though the courts under Landlord and Tenant law or the Environmental Protection Act (statutory nuisance)

A flood would typically dry out in a couple of weeks. Are you sure it is not condensation related, which may be more likely with internal communal walls, or even a persistant leak from supply or waste pipes?

There will be no damp proofing to any flats above

I agree its rubbish.

what do you suppose people do that have had a burst pipe and its flooded the place, (I have seen this happen) they dont just demolish the place, that would be ridiculess

Sponsored Links
from your post it sounds like you own your property?
do the other residents own theirs or do they rent, if they rent then that is probably why they haven't been abel to get any were.

Do you and the other owners contribute to a building fund.
if you do then the fund will pay for repairs to communal areas /roof/foundations stairs/lifts etc.
if You don,t have a building fund then you as an owner will have to get the other owners to agree to pay for any necessary repairs

It may well be a condensation problem and some form of positive ventilation may be one solution

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back