Damp rising on internal walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, my first post here on this excellent forum. I have read many threads on the topic of rising damp, but am unable to decide what is the best way forward for my particular issue.

I have acquired a detached property which was built in '62, and has damp at the bottoms of pretty much all the internal walls. Initially suspecting DPC failure, after much digging and removing I discovered that the DPC is very slightly below the level of the screed. Adding to that there is mostly floor to ceiling plaster. There's no evidence to suggest the DPC has failed, but it is brittle, perhaps bitumen?

A test dig into the screed at the edge of the main reception room shows it is about 35mm thick and there is no DPM between it and the concrete below. I assume that layer of concrete has a DPM underneath it, and sits on top of the raft on which the house is built.

So how to proceed? I was thinking of removing the screed, laying a DPM (sheet or liquid) and getting a new screed put in. Should I inject a new DPC one brick higher and tank to it?

I attach a very badly drawn diagram which I hope might help.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back