Damp, self levelling, priming and DMP??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm new here, so please be kind!

I'm installing a new kitchen in a Victorian terraced house. I've stripped out the old kitchen, but the floor is still showing signs of damp, despite being free of the old fittings for a few weeks. Not wet as such, but patches are darker in some places than others.

The floor isn't level (not sloping, but with a fair amount of humps and bumps, with 5-6mm variation overall), and I was planning on using a fibre based self-levelling compound (http://www.screwfix.com/p/mapei-ultraplan-3240-self-levelling-compound-grey-25kg/4959f) on top of primer, with ceramic floor tiles to finish it off.

Two questions if you can help.

1. Would it be advisable to use some sort of liquid DPM given the damp patches, and if so, what would you recommend, and where would this go?
2. Any advice on what primer to use?

Given I'll be tiling the floor, I wasn't planning on using a DPM, but it would be an expensive mistake if that's the wrong thing to do!

Sponsored Links
before you cover it up, satisfy yourself that there are no plumbing leaks.

if the supply pipe is leaking under the floor it will only get worse, and it will be much more tiresome to dig up the new floor and tiles after a kitchen is on top of them.

120 years is a longer life that a waterpipe deserves.

the concrete may also be very thin, and perhaps cracked.

The concrete floor is solid, and there are no pipes under the floor. The cold water supply comes from the other end of the building and up through the floor in the kitchen by the back door - there's no sign of any damp there. I suspect that it's just moisture coming up from underneath. Tbh, I've just had the house skimmed, and there's a real possibility that the plasterer was a bit careless in the kitchen (I just have a temporary tap in there at the moment), but it seems to be taking longer to dry out than it should.

Sponsored Links
Posting pics of the floor would help.
There's lots of recent Flooring forum threads on precisely this subject if you are willing to research them using the search button.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back