Self levelling compound recommendations + existing bitumen adhesive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - just wondered if anyone had any particular recommendations for self levelling compounds for a concrete floor? I have used them occasionally before, but find the products I've used go off far too quickly so it has been a full on race to trowel them out to avoid a disaster. I'm prepared to accept (say) half a day to the point they can be walked on, and paying a bit extra for a premium product, in exchange for something that actually flows and levels reliably and really well.

I was looking at MAPEI ULTRAPLAN 3240 SELF-LEVELLING COMPOUND 25KG (code 4959F from Screwfix) but there are a small number of really bad experiences in the reviews for that, and more complaints that it needs much more water than indicated in the instructions to get it to flow properly, and I'm not happy playing guess work when the consequences of getting it wrong can be worse than the original problem.

My go-to brand for tiling has always been BAL - but never used their levelling compounds. BAL Level Max looks like it might be about right for what I need, eventhough I don't need anything like the bed depth it is capable of.

Also, I first need to rip up some old plastic (or thermoplastic?) tiles covering around half of the floor, which are stuck down with black bitumen like adhesive. Is there a primer to enable a leveller to be used on top of adhesives like that, or does the adhesive need to be scraped off? We think it has been down at least 30 years.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back