Bouncy Floor Remedy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had some laminate laid and there are two or three bouncy areas i.e. boards deflect when under load..

What I wanted to know is whether it is okay to remove the laminate board/underlay (in the affected area only), put a some self levelling compound in that area (to raise the area up), then reinstall the underlay/laminate?

For a job like this which product would be best as well?

No Nonsense Compound

or

Mapei Levelling Compound

Sponsored Links
I'd be careful adding self leveller for this problem, its really hard to get off, if you get it too high. I'd go with an extra layer of underlay, or even news paper.

@ktuludays @motorbiking Brilliant idea..

Would it be best to you use the thinest type of underlay (e.g. 0.15mm) and build this up until it takes the bouce away?

B&Q sell underlay from 0.15mm all the way up to 3mm for example here

Also should the additional underlay be stuck down in anyway? i.e. Is there a chance it could move when placed under the laminate, this creating the same issue again?

If it help, the bouncy area is in my kitchen

Sponsored Links
Go with the thinnest and build up as required. No need to stick down, it shouldn't move once laminate back down. Of course you can if you wish to though, it wouldn't hurt

Update:

After removing the laminate, some of the areas are out of level by as much as 20mm

I've tried to add additional pieces of underlay but this has just been a nightmare..

Consequently I plan to go down the levelling route. However, I wanted to ask which would be best to do

1. Take up all the laminate in the centre of kitchen where there are some bouncy areas and re-level the entire area? With this method i'd avoid the edges of the room which are fine. Also, I do not want to remove the skirting

2. Or would it be better to just focus on the affected area as which is right side of the centre part of my kitchen?

3. Try something else?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back