underlay for laminate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if anyone can help me on this one regarding type of underlay on solid concrete floors.

I am about to lay laminate flooring in my kitchen and have so far removed the old porcelain tiles and adhesive and levelled it off with self levelling compound.

This has now given me a fairly flay surface to work with albeit some slight imperfections in the levelling compound and slight raised areas of no more than 2mm diff across 300mm at worse point.
The house is 30 years old so will not been insulated and not sure about damp proofing either.
I started my search at quickstep and they offer a few varieties of underlay, some are cheaper than others, basic as very thin and provides a foil backing where as there is one that has insulation backed, which i thought sounded ideal, but having thought about this this may cause the floor to be a bit bouncy.....
Can anyone recommend based on experience what I'm best to use as once its down its down.

Thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links
I was looking at qs underlay as I'm getting that laminate. You never know what its like till its down

Sponsored Links
I tried the red Airguard stuff... it's gone down quite nicely... can't really say whether it's any good compared to anything else, but it's good enough for what I've done with it.

the floor will only be bouncy if you have gaps under it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back