Laminate without underlay

I want to put laminate all the way under where units will be, and then later resting the legs of the units on the laminate.
I have done it before without issues, now they've put a doubt in my mind (and you have also done the same)
Some furniture resting on laminate is much heavier than kitchen cabinets and no problems there.
The question was about the potential bounce which could disturb the stability of the unit.

Sponsored Links
Johnny,
I would not see any issue with bounce with the laminate underlay (perhaps last time someone put cartpet underlay under their Laminate or they has voids, both of which cause bounce).
And cabinets resting on laminate with underlay would not bounce as they will also be fixed to the wall and each other and the worktop will distribute load through many legs.

But laminate is designed to float and move.
However, I guess if you fix it at only one point (and length of unit legs) then it might float and expand out from that point and no issues will be seen.

Details of Floating floors are here:
https://www.thespruce.com/what-is-a-floating-floor-1821740

sfk

Maybe I didn't understand what you are saying.
I won't be fixing the floor anywhere.
There will be no fixed point.
The laminate would be installed as normal, leaving a gap all around for expansion.
Then a kitchen base unit will be installed with feet resting on the laminate, not screwed down.
So the laminate would still be able to expand and contract.
Please let me know if this is wrong.

Johnny,
Noted that your Unit feet will not be screwed through the laminated into the floor (whatever the surface, I never screw the feet down, only ever leave them sitting on the floor, tightened to mid-finger strength.

And that the feet will be resting or sitting on the laminate.
However, this will put point loads on the laminate that might/will trap it in place and stop it moving.

You may get away with it (I am sure many have), and in your case there might be enough 'slippage/give' under the feet to allow the floor to move.
Or that where they are trapped by the feet allows it to move out in other directions.
Or your floor does not need to move as limited temp/moisture issues.

But the recommendation for Laminate floors to to have them free floating, and not be trapped. Otherwise it might buckle if it decides to move.
Here is a link:
https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/3043/how-do-i-install-cabinets-on-a-floating-hardwood-floor

SFK

Sponsored Links
Noted, but at this point i'm thinking: what about furniture and sofas.
A lot more weight on 4 tiny feet must cause a lot of pressure, but i never had a problem with any laminate I fitted.
Surely manufacturers have thought about this, otherwise they could never sell the stuff to be used in lounges etc.

As sofa is free to move, in one direction it will move with the laminate as the laminate moves (we are only talking mm's here).
In other direction, yes it might be an issue, but perhaps less so than a unit leg because the sofa leg can break the friction (it can jump up) as the wood expands. A unit leg has no upward movement and is likely to be more effective in trapping the Laminate.

Manufacturers get out of this issue by saying "must be fitted as floating floor' and then it is our risk to fit and sit furniture on it.

Every fitting I have seen has ended after the plinth and before the legs, with the legs on the ground.
Unfortunately and sorry but I cannot definitely say to you that you will be okay to rest Kitchen Unit legs on Laminate.

However it is an open forum, anyone done this or is happy to say this is okay?

SFK

That's what I wanted to do, but they put a doubt in my mind that the underlay would make the units bounce and worktop unstable.
I don't think so as I will bolt the units to the wall anyway as usual and then after a week or so usage i could check on the legs if they need adjusting if there's any sinking.
You don’t lay laminate under the units , needs expansion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back