Damp skirting repair advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m after some advice on best treatment for some damp skirting. The house was flooded and this seems to be the only area affected after it’s dried out. Iv been sanding it down very slightly every day when each layer seems to dry. As you can see the sanded off debris is damp and not like fine powder you usually get with sanded down wood. Do I stick doing this, and leaving bicarbonate of soda on over night? It’a a rented property and the landlady isn’t interested so didn’t really want to get it replaced at my expense, as looking to move as soon as a house comes up

Thank you
Chris

Attachments

• 9750AD1A-9550-44AC-AE35-240D5E382763.jpeg
    9750AD1A-9550-44AC-AE35-240D5E382763.jpeg
    401.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 9B7E76F4-52EF-44D5-A7E4-D48955406857.jpeg
    9B7E76F4-52EF-44D5-A7E4-D48955406857.jpeg
    514.5 KB · Views: 50
Sponsored Links
Wood is porous so bicarb is at best a temporary solution for surface mould, and not a permanent solution for the skirting which needs drying out, or more likely replacing. The plaster behind the skirting will also need to dry out, as will the damp floorboards

Repairing the damage to the fabric of the building is the landlord's responsibility even if you were to blame.

Blup

Wood is porous so bicarb is at best a temporary solution for surface mould, and not a permanent solution for the skirting which needs drying out, or more likely replacing. The plaster behind the skirting will also need to dry out, as will the damp floorboards

Repairing the damage to the fabric of the building is the landlord's responsibility even if you were to blame.

Blup
It’s been a few weeks now, but doesn’t seem to be drying it. There’s a by pass road being built and highway england went through a pipe that flooded all the gardens and houses. The landlady has a claim dispute on going with them but don’t hold much hope of her replacing either the floor or skirting. Thank you

HEng will doubtless argue it was the water board's fault for not revealing the location of pipe, a dispute that could on for years. It is still your land lady's responsibility though. Good luck

Blup

Sponsored Links
I don’t believe leaving water damaged skirting in place is viable .Wall behind will be soaked and need to dry with no skirting before replacing .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back