Damp under floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Stripping another room. It had LVT laid on ply, on top of the original floorboards.

When I, finally, got to removing the ply, I found what looks like a chalky substance between the ply and the floorboards - it seems to be directly around the (gas) fire. The floorboards in the alcove by the side of the chimney breast also look damp. (north facing wall, was covered in Ivy until last week)

I decided to stick my head into the floor void and found more white stuff on the sleeper wall, this looks more like efflorescence to me though, but it does show the same chalky substance on the underside of some of the boards too.

Anyone know what this could be? There's no air bricks (will be fixing that) so I assume some kind of rot (dry?). The white stuff's visible across 50% of the room's floorboards, so I'm worried I might end up replacing them all.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    477 KB · Views: 156
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    503 KB · Views: 162
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    496.8 KB · Views: 158
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    555.5 KB · Views: 156
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    454.6 KB · Views: 154
Sponsored Links
Totally. We only got the keys to the house a couple of weeks ago so we're still uncovering stuff. We knew it needed air bricks, all the floors seem solid so we didn't know what we'd discover until we started stripping the place.

My main concern right now is the state of the boards. I'm guessing they're all going to need replacing? Joists in the affected areas too?

Sponsored Links
Light mould , clean with vinegar solution,you can spray joists . No need to replace .Ventilate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back