damp underlay problems!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having a problem with drying out a wet underlay...

I noticed that the carpet undeneath my chair etc in my back room was wet when i lifted it, it is a north facing room by the coldest corner i.e two external walls meeting with no radiator on either so I figured that it was condesnation - since i used to get that on the walls although bizarelly no longer.

Anyway I moved the furniture and lifted the carpet and the underlay was wet in about a 2 m by 1.5m area. i lifted back the carpet and the underlay, the underlay has been like that for about 10 days and hasn't seemed to dry out? I have been usinga small dehumidifier and also a little heater to help it snot budging though? any advise?

Also really wierdly where the carpet has folded over a liquid has just dripped from the corner - i thought it was more water but touching it it feels a bit oily or like there are small crystals in it - does anyone have any clue what this could be?

Any help gratefully receievd - sorry for the long post!

Sponsored Links
could it be an underground leakig pipe- central heating.

dehumidyfiers are good- leave off blow heaters though- don,t necessarily accelerate drying.a good breeze running through the area during daytime is good and inexpensive.

draw a chalk line around wet patch- after 24 hrs and periods thereafter,check if the patch is getting smaller.

would the crystallization suggest there is some salt in the water- just a guess.

best of luck

Huge :D

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back