Damp upstairs...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Moving into our new house. I noticed a small patch of 'damp' above the skirting board upstairs and this is the only place upstairs which has this type of problem.

The wall affected is an internal wall. Could it be condensation?

Cheers.

View media item 70103

Sponsored Links
Unless the bathroom is at the opposite side of that wall.

No, its not near the bathroom.

Another thing to note is that is doesn't seem to be getting worse

is there a radiator or pipe on the other side? Or a chimney?

Sponsored Links
Looking at your pic again, the carpet looks like it has impressions left on it from an item of furniture which may have been against that wall.

I would go for condensation on this one.

It should dry out in time.

Definitely not near the chimney - it is in the centre of the house.

As for the pipes, I'm almost certain that there shouldn't be one there.

If there was a pipe there and it had a small leak wouldn't it also be likely to show downstairs?

Thanks Alastair,

If you are referring to the 2 square marks, they are part of the pattern :)

The property has also been empty for months. I have a dehumidifier running 6 hours a day at the minute.

Process of elimination....the most obvious having being dismissed! i would just keep my eye on it.

Pattern on the carpet. :LOL:

Yes.. lovely pattern.... ;)

I will keep an eye on it.

Does it actually feel damp? It looks like someone has just missed painting that bit or wiped the emulsion off after slipping while glossing.

I've seen something similar in the pas where chemicals from the silicon (if caulk wasn't used) leach into the wall finish.

It is definitely damp/wet, I picked at the paper slightly and it ripped like wet paper if u know what I mean.

Interesting about the silicone... Might check I'd it's caulk or silicone!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back