Damp wall help / advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Hi,

Recently re-papered upstairs bedroom. Before papering, I had to do a little plastering on one particular wall which had clearly had earlier plastering done by previous owners.

Within a few weeks, the paper on this wall began to feel slightly damp and today I've had to remove paper owing to a few stains showing through. I found a fair smattering of black dots - is this fungus? - under paper.

I'm going to leave wall for a few weeks, buy a fungicide paint and use lining paper before repapering.

Any tips, please, and any ideas why I might have this problem on an upstairs wall? As wall is external, I've inspected from the outside, but I can't see any obvious cause of problem?

Thanks,
Mike.

Sponsored Links
Give us time Dazz, give us time... ;) ;)

Firstly, You have to find out the cause of this damp/wet, I can give you tips how to hold damp stains at bay for a good few months, but thats no good until you have the problem sorted out.

Some people get the problems sorted, but the stains are still there, so there is ways of blocking it, and you can paint as normal, but in your case, if you dont know where the damp is coming from, then blocking the stains isnt going to help you in the long run.

If its just Mould, then you have serious condensation problems,but if the walls are damp/wet as well, then there is more to it I'm afraid. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back