Danfoss RAS D2 - Drain Off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When we bought our house half a dozen of the rad valves were broken. Whilst I'm doing some work on the heating, I'm looking to replace all the TRVs & lockshields with new ones (the system is currently drained down so it seems like a good idea).

Due to their appealing style, I'm looking at replacing the rad valves with these: RAS D2

My only issue is that they don't have a drain off. I've found some radiator tail piece fittings with drain offs built in, but looking at them, it appears that they'll move the lockshield out, thus requiring all the rad pipes too be moved across (not something I want to do on 8 rads!!).

Is my assumption correct? Has anyone used these tail pieces before?

Am I out of options if I use the Danfoss lockshields? I suppose it's not the end of the world, but I guess drain offs are a lot more userfriendly in the long run. Any advice is appreciated.

Mark

Sponsored Links
Danfoss do a seperate drain off tail piece.

your trv or l/s will have a valve body and a radiator tail in the one box.

buy the seperate drain off tail piece.

discard the radiator tail from the box set and replace with drain off tail
piece.

very straight forward

check danfoss website for part numbers etc

Yep, I did find a replacement tailpiece but as I say, it looks a lot bigger than the std radiator tail, therefore, requiring pipes to be moved... Danfoss Tailpiece

Unfortunately the Danfoss website doesn't give any information on the part, so I can't tell if my guess is right or not. Has anyone got any experience of them? Or know of an alternative method to be able to use these valves & be able to drain without moving pipes?

i use these tails every other day on systems installed in properties
that have concrete floors, in that aspect they are the mutt`s nuts.

they don`t throw out as much as you think, especially if the original
flow n return pipes are 8 or 10 mm,easy to manouvere into valve.

if 15mm pipe and you think there is not enough play on pipe,elongate the hole through the floorboard and i`m pretty sure this will give you sufficient play on pipe to allow it to fit valve.

Sponsored Links
OK, thanks for the advice, I'll give one or two a tentative go and see how I get on with the pipes... (NB, pipes are 10mm and come from the wall).

Ta.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back