Danfoss RX1 wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a Danfoss TP700 and I'm connecting the RX1 receiver up to a Halstead Ace. The boiler has terminals L1 and L3 linked as it's running on the timeclock. The RX1 has L & N supply and terminal 2 as a common with 3 and 4 zone on and off. It says to connect pin 2 to mains live but I don't think this is correct.

Can anyone help me wire this up please? I think I need to connect 2 and 3 on the RX1 to L3 & L1 on the boiler. Is this right or am I going wrong? The instructions aren't very clear.

Sponsored Links
I've got a Danfoss TP700 and I'm connecting the RX1 receiver up to a Halstead Ace.
The RX1 needs a 240 supply to run the electronics; this can come from the boiler.

Remove the link between L1 and L3.
Run a 4-core cable or two 2-core cables (earth not required) from boiler to the RX1.
Connect L1 to L and N to N (use brown and blue or one 2-core).
Connect L2 to 2 and L3 to 3 (use other wires or second 2-core).

Hint

Make sure you check communication between the RX1 and the TP700 controller from the proposed controller location before fixing the RX1 to the wall.

Thanks but I'm still confused, sorry if I'm being stupid but you say connect L1 where the link was to L? (240v mains) That doesn't seem right to me.

I get the 240v supply bit and that the L1-L3 link is where I'm wiring in the boiler but the RX1 control end is where I'm confused. See top of page 6 in the link below. It says to link terminal 2 to mains which I'm not sure I need to do. And which of terminal 2,3 and 4 do I need to connect to L1 and L3.

http://randall.danfoss.com/PCMPDF/37038v02s1-24.pdf

Again sorry if I'm being stupid I just don't want to cock this up. Any help is greatly apprecaited

Thanks but I'm still confused, sorry if I'm being stupid but you say connect L1 where the link was to L? (240v mains).
I meant L on the RX1! L1, N and Earth are the mains input to the boiler. Connecting Boiler L1 to RX1 terminal L and Boiler N to RX1 terminal N provides the RX1 with power.

I get the 240v supply bit and that the L1-L3 link is where I'm wiring in the boiler but the RX1 control end is where I'm confused. It says to link terminal 2 to mains which I'm not sure I need to do. And which of terminal 2,3 and 4 do I need to connect to L1 and L3.
This is where I might confuse you more. ;)

The mfr instructions say that L2 and L3 should be linked not L1-L3. The difference is that L1 is permanently live, while L2 is only live when the boiler is ON at the timer.

The mfr instructions for fitting a thermostat assume you are using the internal clock, so you fit the stat between L2 and L3. But you are fitting a programmable thermostat, so the internal boiler clock is redundant.

You have two choices: bypass the internal clock completely, or set the internal clock to run continuously. I think bypassing the clock is better as it avoids any chance of someone causing problems by fiddling with the internal clock.

Here is how you do it:

This is where I change my original instructions :eek:

You only need a 3-core (plus earth) cable.

* Remove link in the boiler.
* Brown to Boiler L1
* Blue to Boiler N
* Third wire to boiler L2

At the other end:

* Brown to RX1 terminal L
* Blue to RX1 terminal N
* Third wire to RX1 terminal 3.
* Connect a link between RX1 terminals L and 2

Come back if you are still confused. ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that but after a bit of head scratching I've got it working now.

Used L and N from boiler L2 & N. Removed link in boiler and wired L3 to terminal 3 on the RX1 and linked terminal 2 to L. Works a treat!

Used L and N from boiler L2 & N. Removed link in boiler and wired L3 to terminal 3 on the RX1 and linked terminal 2 to L. Works a treat!
Good to know you worked it out for yourself - much more satisfying ;)

The only comment I would make is that taking the power from L2 only works if the boiler clock is set to continuous. Taking the power from L1 avoids this potential problem.

hi, sorry to bump such an old post but it looks like it could help me. d_hailsham I have a RX1 with the wiring setup you suggest above (i.e the live is connected to the com). I'm planning to swap it out for a hive system - already discovered this setup doesn't work - the lights are fine but the boiler doesn't fire. Do you have any suggestions?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back