Danfoss thermo valve problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Can anyone please tell me how I get the plastic cover off this Danfoss unit. Tried the grey knurled part. Won’t budge. Can’t see a locking pin anywhere. Rad is cold. Suspect sticking pin but can’t get to it!

Sponsored Links
turn the setting to max then turn the grey ring to slacken off the sensor then just pull it off

Sponsored Links
Brilliant. Thanks guys. Not tried it yet. Need another clamp to prevent the pipe bending when trying to turn the grey ring.

Ok. I’ve managed to get to the pin. Thank you! However, it won’t budge. It’s stuck out about 5 or 6mm and I’ve tapped it with a hammer a few times now. Do I just need to hit it harder? Don’t want to break it. Would penetrating fluid help? Cheers.

Yea, I just figured that out . Should it come out any further than 5 or 6mm? I can push it back about 1mm and it springs back again. Obviously under pressure. Maybe the valve isn’t problem then. I’ve bled the rad fine. Water came out immediately. I’ve also made sure the other end is open. The pipe to the thermo valve is warm, the other side cold. All other rads appear to be working fine. Ideas?

Yea, I just figured that out . Should it come out any further than 5 or 6mm? I can push it back about 1mm and it springs back again. Obviously under pressure. Maybe the valve isn’t problem then. I’ve bled the rad fine. Water came out immediately. I’ve also made sure the other end is open. The pipe to the thermo valve is warm, the other side cold. All other rads appear to be working fine. Ideas?
Valve sounds like it is working ok, shut down all the other rads and see if the problem rad heats up

Ok. Thanks. Tried that but no change. Could it be gunged up?

sounds more like you have a pipework blockage somewhere but could be a blockage at the rad , only way to find out is completely close both valves , remove the rad take it outside and empty it and give it a flush through with a hose, get a basin or similar and open one valve at a time and see if you are getting a good flow from each valve

Okay, done that but, unfortunately, hasn’t worked. Water in rad seemed okay. Bits of black stuff (magnetite?) but was free-flowing. Water n and out pretty much the same. New evidence though: Discovered rad in bedroom (nearest to combi boiler) is also cold. The pipe with the thermo valve on is cold but the other side is hot - opposite of the other problem rad in hallway downstairs. Could problem be related? I’ll investigate valve in bedroom now :( Thanks for all help so far!

Last edited:
Checked pin on bedroom thermo and it appears to be fine. That rad is lukewarm at the top now. Cold at bottom. Heating been on a couple of hours. Other rads very hot. Except the original problem one, of course. Might be time to call a plumber!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back