Danfoss under floor heating EXPERT NEEDED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening,

I think this may be more of an electrical question but you plumbers may be better to ask to start with.

I have a friend that has an under floor heating system. It consists of an 8 zone danfoss main controler of which 7 zones are in use.
It have danfoss wireless stats and another little box of which i'm not sure what it does.
Basically she has moved into the flat and the under floor heating doesn't work.
I'm unable to find any info for this system even on the danfoss site as its an older system which was installed in 2000.
So, although I'm an electrician i have never worked on u/f heating.
My questions are,
1) The pump which pumps the hot water around the system is basically on a switch fuse spur and a time clock, its totally independant of the main control panel. From what I though, shouldn't the pump operated via the main panel, so when the stat calls for heat, it opens the actuator on the manifold and swiches on the pump?? What we have is the stat calls for heat and the actuator opens but the pump is only on when the time clock tell it to be. Is this ok?
2)There is an actuator which is labeled as boiler. There is no 24v supply to this and this does not appear to work. When I take the actuator off the manifold it allows the hot water to flow around the system. What are the possible reasons for no supply? This actuator is fed from a seperate box to the main panel, (this other box is in dutch i think so have no idea what it is. It has 2 LED's on it and a temperature adjustment, it has 2 cables one going to flow and one to return manifold temperature guages, there is a 2 core cable from this to the main panel which connects to a symbol I would describe as an arrow with a circle around it. There is another pump which is accross the mainifolds which is powered by this little box)
Any idea's? I know this is probably impossible to follow without a diagram!!
3) Can you test the actuators are operating?
4) Is there an easy way to test the wireless stats bearing in mind the stats are all mixed up and were not labeled correctly to the room. (Its the stats where you have to plug them in with a cable to set them up)

I will try to add pic's as i know this probably is hard to understand, but its worth a try.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Im no expert in this field but it seems a strange setup from your description. Id have expected the time clock to energise the system during the heating "on" period, therefore supplying power to the stats. When the stats call for heat, they would energise the boiler, pump and appropriate actuator(s) for the zone(s) that require heat. I would hazard I guess it is a wiring fault, but without knowing how the system should be wired its impossible to tell......

the pump on the timer may be a secondary hot water loop as the ufh has its own pump, the actuators on the ufh normally work on 24v and there is a relay (could be marked as boiler enable) to switch on the boiler, is the boiler working for hot water?

Sponsored Links
There are 2 pumps, one you can see in the far left of one of my pic's. The other which is controled via the timer is near the boiler and pumps the water down straight to under the floor via a red pipe.
From what I can see there is no cable linking the under floor heating to the boiler although yes there is hot water and i can get the ufh working with removing the actuator marked as boiler. The actuator marked as boiler is fed from the small square box there is a picture of (not the long box) but like i say, there is no link to bring the boiler on. Can it bring the boiler on via some kind of flow switch??
Ineed also to test the stats but these are wireless... any idea's?
thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back